Thursday, April 14, 2011

Unearthly (Unearthly, #1)Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Clara is part angel, or as they like to be called angel-blood. Her mother decides to move Clara and her brother to Wyoming after Clara receives a vision that leads them to believe she has to be there to save someone's life.
Clara was an interesting character and I appreciated her level-headedness, especially with all of the curveballs thrown her way. I didn't expect to like a story based on angels as much as I did and the author found ways to tap more into spirituality than preachiness, which is a fine line to walk. The other characters were also believable and the relationships that develop in Clara's new life are interesting to watch. Yet I could definitely tell this was the first book in a series. I thought that there could have been a bit more in the way of resolutions and the ending wasn't all it could have been because there were so many things left hanging, which I'm sure she'll address later but left me feeling like my book was missing a few pages.
I would definitely recommend this one as YA a cut above the rest, especially in the paranormal genre. You won't find a Bella or an Edward, but a girl that can see beyond the guy in front of her and a guy that is mature and awesome enough to be around her.

Copy Source: Library

No comments: