Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Goddess TestThe Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Source: Free Ebook from NetGalley
Release Date: April 19, 2011

I've always liked Greek mythology, but especially the story of Persephone. It's probably why I also like Wuthering Heights and those doomed misery-laden relationships. The synopsis admittedly seemed interesting. Katie is new to the town of Eden since her mother has decided to move home to finish her last days before she succumbs to cancer. Suddenly a mysterious stranger appears before Katie and makes a bargain to save her mother that rings very similar to Persephone's story, or not so mysteriously as Henry straight-up tells her to research the myth (very subtle storytelling here). This one encounter will change her life forever.
One of the biggest problems I had with this story was the character development, because it just didn't ring true. Her friendships were sudden and not very genuine. Katie was reliable to a fault and never made the wrong decision because she weighed everything so carefully to the point we revisited events/thoughts/feelings/reasonings ad nauseam. Her interactions with Henry seemed too childish for her age and she couldn't even say the word sex out loud, but liked to refer to it as that thing. It got old and by the time the end rolled around I didn't care what happened anymore because I wasn't connecting with any of these characters. I can't really say I'd recommend this one and I know I won't be continuing.

No comments: