Monday, April 25, 2011

Defiance (Strange Angels, #4)Defiance (Strange Angels, #4) by Lilith Saintcrow

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Somewhat Spoilery for the Previous Books---Beware---

If the last in the series could be considered Graves's turn in 'wooing', this one is really Christophe's. Dru is still dealing with the ramifications of the last book, Jealously. She is impatient to find and save Graves and is tired of being 'dealt' with, instead of actively involved with his search. Christophe is there once again to provide the angst, which I'll be the first to say I love. Yet even with the lovely detours Christophe-ness I have to admit that I was a tad bit disappointed with the direction this installment, because while I saw Dru take some steps in the maturity dept. there wasn't enough happening with the plot. Sure Dru needs a time-out and escape from the pressures of her life, but I don't need three-quarters of the book to follow that. I wish there had been more demanding and less acquiescing.
The title is Defiance, which Dru lives up to, but not in the sense I had hoped. It looks like she will continue to go through the school of hard-knocks, but it makes me wonder just where St. Crow will take her in the last book, because Dru's been dragging her feet for awhile now. I always enjoy taking the time to visit with these characters and I still would recommend this series, I just don't feel like this is the strongest of the bunch.

Copy Source: Purchased Kindle version

No comments: