Saturday, February 19, 2011

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore


My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is one where I think the movie may turn out to be better than the book. Also important to mention is that this is a review of the book, not a commentary on the method of its creation.

The one thing that really bugged me about this story were the simple declarative sentences. I never really felt any extreme emotions from 'John'. The premise is very dramatic, a group of children separated around the world are responsible for saving whatever is left of their home-planet from the Mogadorians that invaded years ago. This is some heavy stuff, but I never really felt that the characters acted like they should have in their situation. Would a 15-year old alien developing super powers on the run for his life really just want to go on the hay ride at school? Maybe, but I was still bored.

Then comes the action-packed ending was not very satisfying and once again I feel it's because of the author's lack of making the action really pop-out at me. I didn't feel any sort of adrenaline or sense of danger at the comical villains. So the ending was a disappointing one for me and it pretty much set the tone for how I've come to feel about this book.

I wouldn't say it's a waste of time, but it's definitely a library book.

Copy Source: Library

No comments: