Saturday, July 16, 2011

Die for Me (Revenants, #1)Die for Me (Revenants, #1) by Amy Plum

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

"If Vincent wouldn't tell me anything, maybe I could figure it out for myself." That's the one line that I wish Katie would actually listen to herself and follow. From the beginning she has to be spoon-fed the facts and doesn't seem to understand how to connect point a to point b. I would understand her utter disbelief in the beginning, that's only normal, but to continue the same way under the pretense that she wants to know everything, but then hide her head under a rock once she does is exasperating! She literally had to be held by the hand the entire way through this book. At one point she knows her sister is in danger and instead of calmly trying to explain herself, she goes to visit her 'lover' (ha!) and leaves her sister to her own devices.

On another note, I'm sure there might be some women or men that convince their significant other to leave the military or police force because of the dangers. It's understandable that the risks their partner takes may be too stressful for the other half. Yet there are men and women that bravely put their lives on the line for others every single day they step into uniform. The main difference between them and a character in this book is that this character will COME BACK, not just once by EVERY TIME. This character feels an immense urge to sacrifice their life so that others may live but Katie decides she would be too upset to see that happen because after her parents sudden demise it's too traumatic. It's true she doesn't suggest the character willingly not save lives, but she doesn't mind when they suggest something along those lines. Then the icing on the cake is that by the end, Katie 'bravely' decides she would sacrifice her life for this character. Give me a break! What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander, I guess.

Her immaturity leads me to another point. The fact that she didn't need to be in this relationship was obvious to me. The interactions between her and Vincent are so little before they decide they can't live without each other(ugh!). I'd believe it if it rang with any kind of true sentiment, but it didn't to me. Plus, at Vincent's age he should know better and at least leave her alone for a few years.

As you can probably tell this book hit some nerves. I know that many of the things that bothered me other readers would gobble up. In fact the romantic scene at the end reminded me so much of Twilight it was hard not to compare the two. So I can definitely say fans of that series would like this one. It's not for me.

Copy Source: Purchased

No comments: