Saturday, August 20, 2011

Forever (Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3)Forever (Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I had the same issues with this last book as I did with the two before it. Sam and Grace remain mostly uninteresting (for my tastes). I mean, don't get me wrong, I get that it's a quiet and gentle love that should make some girls sigh, but not me. Give me Cole and Isabel with all of their sarcasm, pain, and hang-ups any day over Sam and Grace. This, of course is a personal preference and some readers may feel exactly the opposite. Yet for me the most interesting story to follow was Isabel and Cole and counting the pages until their POV does not a perfect story make.
Once again the resolution presented itself too quickly and the truth about what causes the werewolf disease wasn't terribly exciting. I can say that I found Stiefvater's writing in Forever to be the best I've seen in this series. The time she takes to describe the different relationships is poignant at some moments, even if exasperatingly boring at other times. What can I say? I'm as conflicted as Grace's own emotions with this one and the jury's still out. I for one didn't mind the open-ended nature of the ending, because in a way the author let's you take a piece of the story as your own. Of course this is a must for those already invested in the series as well as for fans of this genre of YA, but as to a glowing endorsement for the entire trilogy, it's just not there.

Favorite Quote (and there were a lot of great ones):
"The thing I was beginning to figure out about Sam and Grace, the thing about Sam not being able to function without her, was that that sort of love only worked when you were sure both people would always be around for each other. If one half of the equation left, or died, or was slightly less perfect in their love, it became the most tragic, pathetic story invented, laughable in its absurdity. Without Grace, Sam was a joke without a punch line."

Copy Source: Library

No comments: